Saturday, May 5, 2012

Veggies on the Horizon

Summer is finally starting to heat up and the Cold Frame has been cleared out of all seeds.  During the remainder of the summer, I will use it as a storage area for hand shovels and other gardening items.  


I also had a little incident with the lid and it is currently being repaired.  I had it propped open to relieve the heat off the seeds and a big storm blew through in the night and lifted the lid up and it crashed down messing up the wood around the glass panes.  My handyman is reviewing the damage on it to see what can be done to heal the injury.





The garden is finally coming to life.  When I put my tomatoes in the ground I put an old can around each of them to protect them from the wind.  Fortunately, the lady behind me works at the elementary school and was able to get me numerous cans from the school cafeteria.  She even cut the bottoms out for me! I also was able to get these metal cages to go around them from a family friend.  It's always nice to get new things for the garden, but what's better is the stuff you get for free.



I'm really excited that my pumpkins are doing so well.  This one grew a vine overnight!  It really likes the heat and after a couple hot days, it has started to take off.


The green beans are doing pretty good.  
I'll feel better about them once they start to climb.





My peppers were looking pretty sad, so I went ahead and bout a six pack of some pepper plants at Lowes.  Better to be safe then sorry.









The squash is doing great.  I have numerous squash coming out and should be ready to pick in a week or so.


















The corn is coming up and I have no clue what to do with this yet.  The current plan is to watch and wait.










One problem I've been dealing with is the weeds and grass sprigs.  I sprayed last year and thought I killed all the grass but it's still trying to come back. As the sprigs come up, I'm blasting them with round up.  I expect next year to be much easier once I get all the weeds and grass out for good.  




The lettuce has done well and for the first time this year, I'm going to pull some and eat it!






All this work has made me hungry.






No comments:

Post a Comment